I made it to America!




MANCHESTER > NEW YORK, NEW YORK

I have never travelled on an airplane by myself before, never mind a long haul flight to the other side of the world. And I've never had to navigate myself around one of the busiest cities in the world. I was SO nervous. The night before I left I just didn't want to go, and I cried when pulling out of the drive, leaving my Mum waving on the doorstep. It didn't help that we had to leave for the airport at 4am, and was still awake cramming as much as I could into my case at 12am- it's hard work packing for 3 different climates for 5 months in one 23kg suitcase. When I waved goodbye to my Dad and Brother at the airport, turning around ten million times until they were out of sight, it felt like some scene from a movie. The whole thing felt so bizarre, I was so emotional and I couldn't help thinking what the hell I was doing! 
Once I got through security I found a little corner and forced myself to breathe. I just had to keep going, no matter how nervous I was. There was no Dad to follow through the airport, onto the right plane, no Mum to look after my passport, and no Brother to hand me some sweets before take off, I had to 'man up' and do it all by myself.

And to everyone's amazement, I did. I got on the right plane. I got in the right queue at customs. I pulled my super heavy (but under 23kg) suitcase off the baggage belt. I found the shuttle to the Port Authority Terminal. I bought a bus ticket from the city to Binghamton and got on the right bus- this step a little more stressful as I got ambushed as soon as I arrived at Port Authority by someone trying to sell me a ticket that would be far cheaper and better apparently. I told him where to go. And for the final leg, I found a taxi from the bus station to the uni. 


The only hiccup: my bus broke down- but that wasn't my fault! 


Although I was in a constant state of stress, panic, and fear for the most part of the day, I was pretty impressed with myself when I had finally made it. By the time I arrived it was 2am in the morning at home, and I was exhausted, so just curled up in the sleeping bag I brought with me- great idea, despite the 1kg of extra clothes I could have brought instead. 

I've now decorated my room a little, and got the essentials from Walmart- trying to figure out what on earth a comforter was took up the most part of Monday, thanks to google for saving the day. My room is basic, its not as luxurious as home-home, or even Lancaster, but it will do, and be my little home for the next year. Home in America- I never thought I would have the opportunity to say that!


xoxo Elsie 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Niagara Falls

Spring Break in Montréal

Ithaca Waterfalls Hike