To Study Abroad or To Not Study Abroad? | The Study Abroad Series #1



THE PROS AND CONS OF STUDYING ABROAD  

Now that I have finished my first semester, and have lived in a country which is not my home country for 4 1/2 months, I feel that I can give a good opinion on whether to study abroad or not. I know that for any Lancaster University students, it will be decision time very soon, so if you're still not sure, hopefully I can help! So I'm going to do it in a pros and cons format, and then give my honest opinion at the end! 


CONS 
Lets start with the cons (or what people think the cons are):

1. Its far from home
If you're someone that often gets homesick, or goes home often, then this could be a little difficult for you. Last year, I challenged myself in my first term of university to not go home at all (and my parents didn't want me home until Christmas either as they thought this would help me settle in quicker), and so I went the whole 10 weeks without seeing my family- which was fine because I settled in so well and in my first term of Lancs I had the best time ever. I have found it a little more challenging here, and as I've said before to begin with I was homesick. I never expected the time differences to be a challenge, but it has been- I get most homesick in the evenings and of course all my family are fast asleep. Also, the semesters are so long here; I have been here for 18 full weeks - a semester at uni at home is only 10 weeks long, so I've almost been here for double that, and around the 3/4 mark it did get a little harder again. 

However, everyone experiences homesickness at some point I'm sure, and the hardest part was when I was settling in. The internet is amazing- I'm in constant contact with my family and can FaceTime them as often as I need to, and with things like snapchat I have been in constant contact with my family, and so its really easy to forget how far away from home you are. When I was deciding whether or not to study abroad, I was worried about being so far away from home if anything ever happened to my family; what my Mum said to me was that if anything ever happened, I'm only a 7 hour flight away and so can be home in the next day. So remember, in this day and age, nothing is that far away. So honestly, if you're talking yourself out of it because you just think its too far, its really not. Yes, if you are the person that loves to be at home as often as possible, and go home every weekend at uni, then it honestly may not be for you. But if you want to challenge yourself- which competitive me did- then go for it. 

2. FOMO 
I was very surprised with the small amount of people that signed up to study abroad. Obviously, there aren't that hundreds of spaces on offer, but that doesn't mean that lots of people can't sign up. One of my Professors told me its because people have a fear of missing out of what their uni friends at home are doing without them, and after being here and not being in Lancs, I can really see how this is true. I miss my lancaster friends sooooo much, and do get a big pang of homesickness when I see them having so much fun when I'm stuck in the library- the time difference means Sugar Wednesdays (student club in Lancaster) is always when I'm studying! I was also involved in boat club last year, which I loved so much and it was so amazing to feel a part of such a big group in uni- and so when I see them going to races and how awesome that felt, I do get a bit sad. I never thought I would say I miss those 7am circuits or the ERGs, but I really do. 

But, I keep reminding myself that I've got all these fantastic things to go back to next year! And I've had so much fun out here and made some incredible new friends, so you can kind of say I get the best of both worlds. Of course I really miss my friends from home too, but I only ever saw them out of term time last year anyway, so although it is 8 weeks longer, it doesn't really make much difference whether I'm here or in Lancaster. What you have to remember is that you have to do the best thing for you; you're the one that is living your life! Studying abroad has always been a dream of mine, and I knew it was going to be so good for me to do it, so I definitely feel that its worth that bit of FOMO that I do have. 

3. Its expensive
The preconception that everyone has is that studying abroad costs the earth- which is kind of true but at the same time isn't. I have no idea how other universities work, but if you're studying abroad through Lancs you pay much, much less for your tuition for that year abroad. It is true that living costs here are ridiculously expensive- I live on campus and one semester here is the same as on campus accommodation for the entire year at Lancaster. There are meal plans to buy which are pricey too- most campus accommodation in the US isn't self catered like in the UK - but I do have a kitchen where I can cook, and I have learned to be very conscious with what  I do and don't spend money on. If you need to, you can easily live cheaply. If you're feeling very brave you can even choose to live off campus abroad, which is much much cheaper. In addition, depending on your household income, Student Finance does put money towards your flights, VISAs, and some other travelling costs. Therefore, overall, studying abroad does mean that you - very very just - end up paying less for your degree than you would if you studied at home. Although we did have to show a larger sum of money up in front, in the long run I will have a slightly lower student debt than I would have if I had done 3 years at home. 

3. Its not the exact same course you signed up for 
Obviously, no country in the UK runs the exact same course as any other, and the US has a completely different university system so it is even more different. Although most classes I do are under the Political Science or PPL section, they are nothing like what I would be studying if I was at Lancaster this year. Its obviously different for different subjects, and you try and match it as closely as you can, but for myself it has been almost impossible to study what I would be doing at home. Therefore I do worry a little that I may be a bit behind the other politics students when I'm back - who have been on the tailor made Lancaster course for 2 years, and I've only done it for one. BUT; I do think that the overall benefits of studying abroad outweigh this- in terms of the skills it provides, experiencing a new culture, studying in different ways, learning a different perspective etc. 




 My Yorkshire hills, old uni room which I loved, and the best boat race

Ok, I've tried and honestly can't think of any more cons. If theres any more you can think of, let me know! 

PROS 
1. Its an adventure 
From the minute my brother and dad let me go off into the big wide world at Manchester airport, my adventure began. Yes, I had a meltdown exactly 2 minutes later when I couldn't find my boarding pass (it was in the SAFE pocket of my bag). Over the past 18 weeks I have challenged myself, experienced so many new things, and have had the best experience. Before we came we had a lecture on Culture Shock, and I honestly didn't listen because I never thought that could happen in the US, where they speak English (or shall I say what they call English haha) and I had visited the country 3 times already. However, there have been so many  different things that I've had to embrace, and I think its all part of the adventure! I have only done one semester so far, but I feel that I have 'improved' myself and developed so many skills already! 

2. Travelling for free?
Ok so its obviously not travelling for free because its really not and my bank account defo doesn't think its free either. But at the same time, it kind of is- I'm getting to travel and visit so many amazing places at the same time as doing my degree. If you were to come on holiday or travelling to the US it would be so much more expensive, and take up so much time- but this is literally the second year of my degree and in 2019 I'll graduate (omg). I have been given the opportunity to live in another country for 8 months for the same price as it would be to be sat in Lancaster. Seriously, when you put it this way studying abroad is just a no brainer! 

3. Friends all over the world 
Not only have I been able to make amazing American friends, but the exchange program I'm on is worldwide, and I now have friends from the Netherlands and Germany too. I think theres something so amazing to know people from different countries; you get to understand different cultures, different traditions, all sorts. Its been so cool these past few weeks discussing how different everyone celebrates Christmas all over the world. 

4. Think of your CV 
Although this wasn't the reason I chose to study abroad, and I don't think anyone should base it purely on this reason, your future self is going to be so thankful! Studying abroad allows you to learn so many different things, skills, and gives you such a wider perspective on everything! Think about it; if two people are going for the same job with exactly the same degree, A-levels etc. but one person has a year studying in another country on the CV... I know which person I'd employ. Any job that I'm currently interested in - international/ foreign affairs focused - is one that would definitely appreciate studying abroad. 

5. Expanding your knowledge
You might not think this is a pro, but I certainly do. Over the last 18 weeks I have learned so many new things, and not just about the US, but the UK too. For example, never in my life have I ever been taught anything about British Imperialism, and although I obviously new it happened, I'm embarrassed to say I knew nothing about it. The sociology class I have been in has been so interesting - I'm going to do a post all about my classes too so I wont say too much about it. It is so cool to get a perspective on things different to the one you're surrounded by at home, and so interesting to see what the rest of the world thinks about Britain too. I can honestly say I feel so much more cultured than when I first came here- despite what people say about the US having no culture !!! 

4. Living and learning in a different country 
I personally think its so cool that I've been living in a different country for the past 4 and 1/2 months. I've mentioned this already but its so interesting to hear about all the differences, and its so hilarious the reaction you get when people realise you're British - mind you they also get quite sad when you tell them no, no you do not know the Queen. It has been so interesting to learn and study in the American education system, which is so so different to how we're taught and learn at home- another post coming soon. Also its so cool to experience the different weather too- it was incredible (20-34'c) for the first few months and we've just had a bit of snow but are expected to get so much next semester. Yes its going to be freezing - its -12'c right now as I'm writing this - but its only for one year! 





Always an adventure, American education and friends all over the globe

I can't really think of anything else to say, but if you haven't got the idea yet: STUDY ABROAD! 
This has been the best experience I've ever had in my entire life. Its certainly been challenging at times, but I am so glad that I signed up and I'm here. I'm so thankful my parents pushed me to sign up- I was quite happy to continue at Lancs like most other students do- studying in another country just sounded far too scary- but its not! I honestly couldn't recommend it more, and urge anyone considering it to take the leap of faith like I did. 

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them all, just send me a message on instagram/twitter: @elsiecussons
I'm going to write a few posts all about studying abroad: The Study Abroad Series - when I was deciding whether to sign up I could have really done with something like this to help me make my decision, so if these posts can help anyone at all that would be so cool. Also I know that a lot of people are curious about all the details, even if they aren't planning to study abroad themselves! 

Thanks for reading, 

Elsie xo 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Niagara Falls

Spring Break in Montréal

Spring Break in New York State